Blogger Widgets
Home Expenses Plant Guides Mine Downloads

Seedlings arrived today

Saturday, November 17, 2012  at 4:25 AM
Last Monday my order for 40 plants went through and the plants were shipped out to me. I now need to find suitable locations for each plant. The planting of these seedlings will not yet occur for another week as they have been in a box for the passed 4 days, and probably under shade cloth before then. I need to acclimatise them to our local weather. Fortunately it is now cloudy and is raining on and off. This is good to help me dig holes in the ground to plant the trees and shrubs as the ground will be wet.

Yesterday I bought some plants from the local hardware store which I actually forgot about (that they sold plants). I mostly bought Grevilleas but I did manage to find one Eucalyptus tree amongst all their plants, and it was a Crimson Mallee. I have no idea where to plant the Crimson Mallee at this point in time. The plants I bought yesterday were all under shade cloth so I'm acclimatising them to the weather at the moment.

Tomorrow I will begin rebuilding part of the creek bank that has severely eroded away. Every time it rains heavily here the bank erodes a little bit more. The dirt is exposed now in places along one section of the slope.

I don't have any money to buy stuff to prevent the soil eroding away, like cloth or cement to make a retaining wall. So what I plan on doing is simply reshape the creek bank with a shovelfuls of sand from the creek itself and plant low shrubs outward away from the edge of the creek. As I do this I will gradually add more sand from the creek bed to backfill the slope. I'll be using the plants that I have already bought and that should stabilise the creek bank in that location of the Tenterfield Creek. I intend to rebuild the bank from the bottom upwards, slowly backfilling the bank to make it slope downward rather than suddenly drop downward like a cliff. Starting at the water's edge (if any exists by tomorrow in that spot) I'll slightly deepen the creek and put the sand up on the creek bank and hold it all together with plants and grass. I'll dig some large chunks of grass up from other parts of the property/creek and try and get the grass established as the plants grow, then I'll separate the grass once the plants are bigger to do another section of the creek.

I know this all sounds backward but in my head, in theory, it should work. Its worth a try because Carol is slowly losing her property's land due to water erosion.

0 comments:

Before posting your comment please click on the link below!

Thanks for contributing a reply to Tenterfield's Bangor Rainforest!

Please make sure your answer is NOT a SPAM comment, as such comments will be deleted.

Provide details and share your research. Avoid statements based solely on opinion; only make statements you can back up with an appropriate reference, or personal experiences.

Comment Options:

To change your text to bold simply type in a left facing arrow then a UPPERCASE letter b then a right facing arrow. Then add your text, followed by typing in a left facing arrow, then type in /B and then a right facing arrow.

To change your text to italics simply type in a left facing arrow then a lowercase letter i then a right facing arrow. Then add your text, followed by typing in a left facing arrow, then type in /i and then a right facing arrow.

To change the colour of your text type in [co="red"]Add your text here[/co] You can change the colour of the text by either typing in the colour's word or by adding a hex colour code that includes the hash symbol.

Your text goes here. To add a marquee text type in [ma]Add your text here[/ma]

To add an image or gif type in [im]Add your image or gif URL here[/im]

Of course, you can add various combinations of the above to your comment as long as you place the ending tags in the right locations.

To add a Youtube video as a comment use either one of the two codes below and replace the video url with the one you want to add as a comment.
[video=ADD-ENTIRE-VIDEO-URL-THAT-YOU-VIEW-ON-THE-WATCH-PAGE-ON-YOUTUBE-HERE]
[video=ADD-ENTIRE-VIDEO-URL-THAT-YOU-VIEW-ON-THE-watch?feature=player_detailpage-HERE]

 
Copyright © 2012 Tenterfield's Bangor Rainforest which is Powered by Blogger
Designed by UFO Designs by Shirley E. Hardy | Bloggerized by Blogging Tutorials for everyone

SitemapDisclaimerContact meInvite friendsGuestbookAbout this site

This is a blog about the man-made construction of the privately owned Bangor Rainforest in Tenterfield, NSW Australia.

Scroll to Bottom Back To Top